Nothing is more festive or comforting than Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Icing. Moist, flavorful bread that is easy to make and has the perfect amount of fall spices!
Pumpkin season is in full swing, so it’s the perfect time to whip out my pumpkin bread recipe so you can try it out. I think what makes this bread stand out is how much yummy pumpkin flavor is squeezed into each bite.
Then when you ad that incredible homemade cream cheese icing on top, it’s basically a dessert from my dreams.
You can make up one of these pumpkin bread loaves to take to holiday parties, potlucks, or whenever a craving for all things pumpkin strikes!
What You’ll Need For Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Icing
For pumpkin bread:
- All-purpose Flour: The base of the bread is all-purpose flour.
- Salt: A little dash of salt will bring out the sweetness.
- Baking Soda: To get the perfect rise, you will need some baking soda.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: So much incredible pumpkin flavor comes from the pumpkin pie spice.
- Eggs: To bind the bread together, you will need a couple of eggs. You can substitute apple sauce or mashed banana, but the bread will be a different texture.
- Sugar: Using a combination of brown and white sugar will give you the best and sweetest combination ever.
- Vegetable Oil: You can also use butter instead of oil if you’d rather.
- Milk: I usually use regular milk, but you could swap it for almond milk, cashew milk, or your favorite non-dairy milk.
- Pumpkin Puree: It’s very important to use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling.
For cream cheese Icing:
- Cream Cheese: Be sure to set out the cream cheese an hour or so before you begin so it can be room temperature.
- Butter: It’s best to use room temperature unsalted butter.
- Powdered Sugar: The cream cheese icing gets all its yummy sweetness from the powdered sugar.
- Ground Cinnamon: I love the extra spice that the cinnamon provides in the icing. You could also swap it for pumpkin pie spice to make it even more festive.
- Milk: You should only need a couple of tablespoons of milk to make it the proper texture. You could always adjust that amount to make it thinner.
How To Make Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Icing
Amazingly you make this incredible bread without a lot of effort! No one will believe how simple it is to make.
Start off by preheating the oven and lining your loaf pan with parchment paper.
Then mix together the flour, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice in a medium bowl.
Then using another bowl, mix together the eggs, white sugar, and brown sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Then add the oil, milk, and pumpkin puree and combine with a whisk.
Slowly add the pumpkin puree mixture to the dry ingredients and stir well. Make sure there aren’t any lumps.
Then pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes. It’s done once a toothpick can be inserted in the center and come out clean.
To make the icing, you will need to beat together the cream cheese and butter using a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
Then sprinkle in the powdered sugar a little bit at a time and continue to mix until the frosting is fluffy.
Add in the ground cinnamon and milk to thin out the frosting. Pour the icing on top of the pumpkin bread, slice, and enjoy!
How Do You Store Pumpkin Bread?
You should store the cooled and frosted pumpkin bread in a covered container that is airtight. Keep it away from any heat sources, direct sunlight, or steam. The bread will last at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Icing
For the Pumpkin Bread
- 1 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
For the Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a parchment paper on a greased 9X5 loaf pan and keep it aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients together; flour, salt, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In another bowl add in the eggs, white sugar, and brown sugar and whisk until the sugar dissolves. To the same bowl add oil, milk, and pumpkin puree and whisk until well combined.
- Gradually pour this pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients bowl and stir it well to combine completely without any lumps.
- Now pour the bread batter evenly into the loaf pan.
- Bake the bread for 60-70 minutes at 350 degrees F, until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Once down allow the bread to cool and prepare the frosting.
To Make Cream Cheese Icing
- To make the cream cheese icing: In a large bowl beat the cream cheese and butter together on high speed with a handheld or stand mixer.
- Add the powdered sugar in batches and beat until the frosting turns fluffy.
- Add in the ground cinnamon and 1-2 tablespoons of milk to make the frosting thinner.
- Pour the frosting generously on top of the pumpkin bread and cut into slices and serve.