Lettuce wraps filled with spicy chickpeas and topped with a creamy cilantro sauce. These quick and flavorful lettuce wraps make a nutritious fiber packed meatless lunch or dinner in minutes!
I fell in love with chickpeas at my local Indian restaurants with their chickpea curry. Chickpeas are super filling and delicious and make a delicious meat replacement. Lately, I’ve been making these spicy crispy chickpeas and adding them to my salads, pizza and just about anything else!
They are cooked on the stove-top and are ready in just 5 minutes! Today we’re turning this hidden gem into a filling flavor-packed lunch.
To begin you will need canned chickpeas. I do not suggest using dry chickpeas because they take very long to cook but if you must, I suggest cooking them in the pressure cooker. The next step is to simply drain the chickpeas and combine them with the spice blend and pan “fry” for 3-5 minutes or until the chickpeas are browned and crispy.
Next, pack the crispy spicy chickpeas into romaine lettuce leaves or tortilla bread and fill with your favorite toppings. Tomatoes, onion, avocado, cucumber, olives, and thinly sliced carrots are all delicious additions and will add flavor and texture.
The final step is to whip up the creamy jalapeno cilantro sauce, generously drizzle it on the wraps and enjoy!
Watch Recipe Video Below!
Spicy Chickpea Lettuce Wraps with Cilantro Jalapeno Sauce
For the cilantro jalapeno sauce
- 1/2 cup yogurt sour-cream or mayonnaise*
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro include the cilantro stems
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and pat with paper towels to remove excess water.
- In a medium bowl, add dried chickpeas, olive oil, chili powder, cumin and generously season with salt and pepper. Mix until the chickpeas are fully coated with the spices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive in a pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chickpeas and saute for 3-5 minutes or until the chickpeas are crunchy.
- Divide chickpeas evenly into 6-8 lettuce leaves and drizzle with cilantro sauce. Top with chopped onions, tomatoes, avocado, or cucumber if desired.
- To make cilantro sauce: add all the ingredients to a blender and pulse for 30-60 seconds.