Spicy shrimp tacos with avocado salsa & sour cream cilantro sauce are ready in under 15 minutes and are super healthy and delicious! I simply could not find the words to explain how delicious these tacos are but I guess the title says basically says it all. I shared a sneak peek photo on my instagram last night and began getting tons of emails and comments from people wanting the recipe asap. So here I am publishing it as 5 am!
These shrimp tacos are spicy and delicious. They are served with my favorite avocado salsa and topped with a creamy sour cream and cilantro sauce. The sour cream sauce in the perfect sauce for these tacos because it helps balance the heat and add a delicious flavor.
I used my simple all-purpose spicy skillet shrimp recipe to make these tacos. This recipe never fails me and is the secret key to these tacos.
You can marinate the shrimp for just a few minutes or for up to 24 hours but obviously the longer you marinate the shrimp the more flavorful it will be.
The trick to getting this shrimp perfectly cooked and perfectly is by heating your skillet until it’s very hot. I like to use a cast-iron for this because it retains the heat but any heavy-duty skillet will work well. Just be sure to heat it on high for at least 2 minutes before adding the shrimp. The heat will cook the shrimp and give them a nice exterior while keeping all the juice locked into keep them nice and moist.
For the crunchy element I almost always use this spicy avocado salsa. It’s made with avocado, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Don’t forge to salt and pepper!
Now all that’s left is to assemble the tacos. To do so heat a few small tortilla over your stovetop flame to give them a nice charred edge. Next top the tortilla off with some of the avocado salsa and then some shrimp.
The last and finale step is the sour-cream cilantro sauce. To make this sauce simply combine 1/4 sour-cream with 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Drizzle over the tacos and your done!
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa & Sour Cream Cilantro Sauce
- Spicy Shrimp:
- 20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- squeeze of lime (optional)
- Avocado Salsa:
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, from half a lime
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 6 small flour tortillas (corn tortillas can also be used)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- To cook the shrimp: In a medium bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, cumin, chili and onion powders, and salt. Add in shrimp and toss to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for for at least 10 minutes or up to 24 hours. Heat a large heavy-duty or cast iron skillet on high heat for 2 minutes. Add the olive oil and shrimp. Cook shrimp in a skillet on medium-high heat until pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and finish with a squeeze of lime (optional).
- To make salsa: Combine tomato, avocado, jalapeno, salt, pepper, lime juice, and cilantro in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside. (If not using right away, place a piece of plastic wrap inside the bowl and directly over salsa to prevent discoloration and refrigerate.)
- To assemble: Stir sour-cream with cilantro and lime juice in a small bowl; set aside. Grill tortillas on stovetop over flame until lightly charred (this step is optional). Spoon avocado salsa generously over warm tortillas, then top with 3 shrimp and drizzle with sour cream sauce. Serve tacos with lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!!
Nutrition Facts per taco: