Soft and fluffy Cinnamon Banana muffins loaded with swirls of cinnamon sugar and topped with more cinnamon. They’re soft, sweet, and make a delicious breakfast or anytime snack!
Starting your day with some good old-fashioned comfort food is the way to go if you ask me. I have always loved muffins because they taste great, but also because I can quickly grab one when I am heading out the door.
You can eat them in the car on the way to work, at your desk, or when you are in the mood for something sweet in the afternoons.
I am excited for you to sink your teeth into these moist and sweet muffins. YUMMY!
What You’ll Need To Make Banana Cinnamon Muffins
- All-purpose flour: Just regular all-purpose flour will do perfectly when making these banana muffins. You could also swap for a gluten-free flour blend too.
- Baking powder & soda: To get the muffins nice and fluffy, you will need a combination of baking powder and baking soda.
- Salt: A dash of salt will help bring out some of the other sweetness in the muffins.
- Ripe bananas: You will need pretty ripe bananas, so they mash properly.
- Egg: To bind all the ingredients together, the egg saves the day!
- Greek yogurt: If you don’t have or like Greek yogurt, you can also use sour cream.
- Unsalted butter: Melted butter is the key to making these banana cinnamon muffins. So good!
- Brown sugar: This recipe is very versatile and goes well with light or dark brown sugar.
- Pure vanilla extract: A little bit of vanilla really enhances the other flavors.
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- Granulated sugar: Combining the sugar with the cinnamon is pure heaven.
- Ground cinnamon: It’s so easy to make this topping and it takes the muffins to the next level.
How To Make Banana Cinnamon Muffins
These banana muffins are so amazing and only take a few minutes of your time. Let’s get started.
Begin by heating the oven and preparing the muffin tin with parchment liners.
Then combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk then set aside.
Using another bowl, mash the bananas with a fork, then add in the egg, yogurt, melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla until it’s been combined.
Slowly add the flour to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
Evenly place the batter into the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon-sugar on tip and swirl using a toothpick or fork.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
How Do You Ripen Bananas Quickly?
There is nothing more frustrating than wanting to make a treat with ripe bananas only to find your bananas are green and not ready. There are a few things you can do to speed up the process.
- Place the bananas in a bag when you get home from the store. It can be a paper bag or plastic bag. Then stick an apple in it to speed up the process.
- Another option ist to bake an unpeeled banana at 250 degrees for 15 minutes or so. This will help soften and ripen the bananas quickly. It’s good when you are in a hurry but won’t produce as sweet of desserts as you are used to.
- Put the bananas on a microwave-safe plate and heat it for 1-2 minutes. It will be hot, so be careful when you remove the skin. Let it sit for a few minutes to cool, then mash.
More Insanely Good Banana Recipes
- Healthy Cinnamon Crumb Banana Bread
- Moist Almond Flour Banana Pancakes
- Healthy Pumpkin Banana Pancakes
- Banana Chocolate Chip Blondie Bars
Banana Cinnamon Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large mashed ripe bananas (about 1 1/4 cups mashed)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup tightly packed brown sugar light or dark
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 12 muffin cups with parchment liners and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mash the bananas, whisk in the egg, greek yogurt, melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla until combined. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and whisk just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Top each muffin with 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and swirl with a toothpick or fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.