Cheeseburger salad loaded with ground beef, lettuce, tomato, onion and a special big mac sauce that tastes just like the big mac from McDonald’s without the added carbs and fats!
I would be lying if I said I didn’t have my fair share of Big Macs over the years! The combination of cooked beef, topped with pickles, lettuce, and cheese makes anyone’s heart skip a beat. I am happy to report that once you taste this homemade big mac salad, you will forget all about the fast-food version. Okay, maybe not forget about it, but for sure be glad you made it.
My Big Mac Salad recipe is truly so delicious, easy to make, and so much healthier than what you can pick up at a local drive-thru. I don’t know about you, but I love being able to make food at home that is better for you than those foods we all crave.
Plus, when you make Big Mac Salad at home, it’s totally customizable too. You can add your favorite toppings like avocado, sour cream, jalapeno, or even roasted veggies. Or if you’d rather substitute a different protein like ground turkey, chicken, or another beef alternative, you can!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE BIG MAC SALAD
- Ground beef: You can easily swap the ground beef for ground chicken or turkey if you want. It tastes excellent either way.
- Diced onions: You can’t have a big mac without some diced onions, can you?
- Salt & pepper: All you need is 1/2 teaspoon of each, and it will be seasoned perfectly.
- Romaine Lettuce: I like to chop it pretty fine, just like it would be on a traditional big mac. So yummy!
- Red onion: Using a little bit of red onion adds some lovely vibrant color to the salad as well as flavor.
- Shredded Cheddar cheese: Cheddar cheese is the best to add to this incredible salad. You could also use mozzarella, pepper jack, or anything else you enjoy also.
- Tomato: They are completely optional, but I love the way they taste, and they are great for enhancing the salad.
- Dill Pickles: You’ll need some dill pickles for the salad itself as well as some diced pickles for the sauce.
- Mayo: Using mayo will make the sauce super creamy and flavorful.
- Mustard: You could exchange the mustard for French or Thousand Island dressing if you prefer. No matter which way you make it, it’s so good you could eat it with a spoon.
- Seasonings: Just a little bit of smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder will give you the best flavor ever.
HOW TO MAKE BIG MAC SAUCE
The big mac sauce is what makes this cheeseburger salad complete and taste like an authentic cheeseburger salad.
To Make the big mac sauce, simply whisk together mayonnaise, finely minced dill pickles (or sweet relish), mustard, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. No vinegar or salt needed as the mayonnaise is already seasoned!
HOW TO MAKE BIG MAC SALAD
There isn’t an easier big mac salad recipe out there! Once you put that fork to your mouth, you’ll be hooked. Begin by browning your beef in a skillet for 3-4 minutes. Then mix in the onions and season with salt and pepper. Once the hamburger is browned, and the onions are soft, it’s done.
Prepare the sauce by whisking the mayo, mustard, pickles, and seasonings together. Put out 4 bowls and divide the ingredients between the bowls. Add the sauce on top and devour!
CAN I MAKE THIS BIG MAC SALAD RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME?
Technically, you can make it ahead of time, but don’t assemble it until you are ready to eat it. Simply cook the hamburger, dice the lettuce, tomatoes, and other toppings and whisk the sauce. Then when you are ready to serve the salad, warm up the hamburger in the microwave and put the salad together. This is a great option if you are meal prepping and want something fun and delicious as an easy option.
Big Mac Salad (Low Carb, Keto)
Big Mac Salad
- Cook beef: Add the beef to a large pan and brown over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, smashing the beef to crumble. Add the onion, salt & pepper and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until the onion is softened and the beef is browned, cooked through and slightly crispy.
- Make a big mac sauce: whisk all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Assemble: Divide the lettuce into 4 bowls, top each bowl with ¼ the browned beef, onion, cheese, tomato and pickled. Drizzle with big mac sauce and serve immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.