Easy to make Chicken Chow Mein is packed with nutrients and flavors that will rock your world. Tasty chow mein noodles, juicy chicken, shredded cabbage, carrots, onions, bean sprouts, garlic, and the perfect homemade sauce that is amazing!
I have been eating chicken chow mein for so long and often get it when we go out to eat at our local Chinese restaurant. It’s one of my ultimate favorite dishes because it’s so flavorful and filling.
I wanted to be able to create my own version that I could make at home. That not only saves me a TON of money, but it also tastes way better too. Plus, I know exactly every ingredient that goes into it, so that’s a huge positive in my eyes.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CHICKEN CHOW MEIN
- Chow mein noodles: These are the star of the show and give you an amazing experience every time. You can find them at your local Asian supermarket or any traditional supermarket in the Asian section under lo mein or chow mein noodles. If you have a hard time finding them, you can order them on amazon or simply use spaghetti noodles.
- Chicken: You can use either boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs depending on your preference. They both are wonderful and give you great results.
- Vegetable oil: I prefer to use vegetable oil, but you could also opt to use olive oil or coconut oil too.
- Shredded green cabbage: Cabbage has so many nutrients in it like fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, calcium, potassium, and more.
- Matchstick carrots: I feel like using matchstick carrots gives the meal a gourmet look that’s similar to what you would get at a restaurant. So pretty and tastes great too.
- Garlic: While I like to use around 3 cloves, you could increase or decrease that amount depending on how garlicky you love your food.
- Green onions: Not only do green onions add flavor, but they also add some fantastic vibrant color as well.
- Bean Sprouts: You don’t have to add the bean sprouts if you don’t’ want to, but I know that I sure like them.
- Sauce Ingredients: For the sauce, you will need some low sodium soy sauce, low sodium chicken broth (or water!), oyster sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, and honey or sugar. It’s sweet, salty, and perfectly balanced!
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHICKEN CHOW MEIN
You may never want to eat take out again once you taste this simple chicken chow mein recipe. Let’s get started so you can head into the kitchen and throw some together.
First, you’ll want to prepare the sauce. Whisk the soy sauce, chicken broth, oyster sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, and sugar in a small bowl. Set it aside so the flavors can combine and marry together properly.
Then you should cook the chow mein noodles according to the directions on the packaging.
Next, you should heat the large skilled tor wok over high heat. Add in the chicken and one tablespoon of the sauce. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is all the way done and golden brown.
Mix in the cabbage, matchstick carrots, and garlic. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add in those cooked noodles, chopped green onions, bean sprouts, and the rest of the sauce. Cook for 1 minute and be sure to stir frequently.
That’s it! Remove the chicken chow mein from the stove and serve. Enjoy!
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVER CHOW MEIN?
If you end up with leftovers, you can certainly save them. While this meal tends to be better when it’s eaten fresh, it’s not bad for leftovers. Allow the chow mein to cool down then put it inside of a sealed container. Keep refrigerated for 3-4 days. Heat up the chow mein in the microwave or toss back into a skillet with some oil. Once hot it’s ready to eat.
MORE FABULOUS MEALS TO TRY:
- Healthy Chicken & Veggie Fried Rice Meal Prep
- Quick 15 Minute Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 20 Minute Chicken Broccoli & Mushroom Stir-Fry
- Garlic Shrimp and Veggie Foil Packs
Chicken Chow Mein
Ingredients For The Stir Fry
- 6 ounces Chow mein noodles
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts optional
- Make the Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Prepare the noodles: Cook the noodles according to the directions on the package.
- Heat oil in a wok or a large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and 1 tablespoon of the prepared sauce. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until chicken pieces are golden and cooked through.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and garlic; Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add in the cooked noodles, chopped green onions, bean sprouts, and sauce, cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.