Zesty Cilantro Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls are better than takeout and can be cooked in around 15 minutes + marinating. Plus, there is a keto option that is as equally delicious!
Burrito bowls are all the rage and are gaining popularity very quickly! They are a wonderful way to add flavor to your typical boring meals and get lots of yummy nutrients too.
I’ll admit we eat these cilantro lime chicken burrito bowls frequently. I LOVE the flavor of fresh cilantro and when it’s combined with lime and chicken, you just can’t go wrong. The robust flavors will keep you coming back for more, but I want you to figure that out for yourself. 😉
What You’ll Need To Make Cilantro Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Chicken: For best results, use boneless, skinless chicken thighs. They cook up so juicy and flavorful. You could use chicken breasts if you’d rather, but the texture and flavor will be a little different.
- Cilantro: There is no substitution for fresh cilantro with this recipe. It’s the key to giving you the most aromatic and blissful experience.
- Lime: You’ll need a combination of lime juice and lime zest. I highly recommend using fresh lime juice versus the bottled stuff. It leaves a lasting effect on the way it tastes.
- Olive Oil: You won’t need a lot of olive oil, just a couple of tablespoons. You could swap it for another oil if you’d rather.
- Garlic: As with most recipes with garlic, you can add more if you want. I find that 3 cloves of minced garlic are perfection.
- Seasonings: The intense flavors come from the cilantro, lime, and of course, the seasonings. You’ll need a combination of chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
To Assemble Bowls:
- Corn: Fresh or frozen will work well.
- Pepper: Use a red sweet pepper for the best results.
- Black Beans: Canned will be great, just drain the juice.
- Shredded Cheese: I like cheddar, but you could other kinds of melting cheese.
- Avocado: Fresh avocado or guacamole is a great addition to these bowls.
- Sour Cream: Add as much or as little as you need.
- Salsa: Any variety of salsa will work. Or try my Pico de Gallo! Yummy!
- Cilantro Lime Rice – This is the star of the show! You can use cauliflower cilantro-lime rice to keep it low carb/keto or regular cilantro lime rice.
How To Make Cilantro Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls
I’m pretty happy to be sharing this recipe for burrito bowls with you. You’ll need to start off preparing the marinade. Combine the lime juice, lime zest, spices, garlic, olive oil, and chopped cilantro in a large bowl. Add the chicken to the marinade and cover. Chill for at least 30 minutes or all the way up to overnight.
Next, heat up the grill or a heavy pan using medium-high heat. Give it a light coating of oil and add the chicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side until the chicken is all the way cooked. After the chicken is done, you can remove it from the heat and cover it with aluminum foil for at least 5 minutes.
Using the same pan, add in the bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Mix in the onions and corn, cooking until they have warmed up.
Now it’s time to put together the burrito bowls. Using a medium bowl mix, together 1/2 cup of your favorite cooked rice. We LOVE this cilantro lime rice for burrito bowls. Then add in some chopped romaine lettuce, chicken, bell peppers, onions, beans, corn, avocado, salsa, and sour cream.
Any sauce you enjoy will work, but these are our favorites:
- 5 Minute Skinny Chipotle Sauce
- Creamy Cilantro Sauce and Dressing
- Healthy Creamy Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing
Cilantro Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls
To Assemble Bowls
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1 red sweet pepper
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Avocado sliced (or guacamole)
- Sour Cream
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Marinate: In a large bowl, whisk the lime juice, lime zest, cilantro, olive oil, garlic, and spices. Add the chicken and combine until the chicken is coated in the marinade. Cover and chill for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Cook: Heat a grill or heavy-duty pan to medium-high heat and lightly oil it. Add the chicken and grill for 5-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from heat and cover to rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- To the same pan (use foil or cast iron pan if on the grill), Add the sliced peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Remove the bell peppers and onion from the pan and add the corn and saute for 3-4 minutes or until warmed through.
- Assemble: To a medium serving bowl, Add about ½ cup of cooked rice (we love this cilantro lime rice for burrito bowls recipe HERE), chopped romaine lettuce, grilled chicken, cooked bell peppers & onion, beans, corn, sour cream, avocado, and your favorite salsa.