A healthy roasted basil tomato soup is fully of flavor and extremely easy to make. Served with a side of warm grilled cheese, making this soup the ultimate winter lunch! Whenever anyone thinks of tomato soup, the canned version pops in mind. That’s the main reason I stopped eating tomato soup for years. It wasn’t so much soup, as it was just tomato soup in a can. No thank you.
This roasted tomato basil soup is the real deal. It’ll make you forget about all that canned stuff and make you wonder just why you never attempted to make your own homemade tomato soup before! and more importantly, you’ll be shocked how easy it is!
Making soup may sound a little intimidating to some but fear not! This roasted tomato soup is as easy as it gets folks. It’s as simple as roasting fresh tomatoes and garlic and blending the mouth-watering roasted tomatoes into an intense flavorful soup.
To begin, cut up a pan full of tomatoes. Any type of tomatoes will work fine for this soup so use whatever you can get your hands on just make sure they’re fresh tomatoes!
Next, we’re going to throw in a few cloves of garlic, skin and all. Don’t worry about the skin because it will be removed later after roasting. Drizzle with a lot of olive oil and salt + pepper and roast for 30-40 minutes or until the tomatoes are lightly charred.
While the tomatoes are roasting, cook down diced onion in olive oil until golden. Add the roasted tomatoes and some chicken or veggie broth. Blend the mixture in a blender and then simmer for a few minutes and that’s pretty much it! Now all that’s left is a gooey grilled cheese sandwich to soak up all this yummy soup!
Easy Roasted Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled CheesePrint Rate
- 3 pounds tomatoes any variety, cut in half
- 6 cloves garlic skin on
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups low-sodium veggie or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spread tomatoes and garlic (skin on) in 1 layer onto a large baking sheet. Drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until tomatoes are lightly charred on the outside and tender on the inside. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes then remove the skin off the garlic.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the onions and cook down on medium heat until golden , about 4-5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, the roasted tomatoes and garlic, broth, and basil leaves.
- At this point, transfer the mixture to a blender and blend for 1 minutes or until the soup is creamy. This can also be done using a hand-held blender. Return the soup to pot and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite grilled cheese!