If you’re on the east coast the you know how chilly it is around here! I’ve always found myself on the east coast my entire life so I’ve never had the chance to experience west coast weather. Because I can’t really enjoy grilled meals during the winter, I use my handy stovetop grill. This little thing works wonders! If you don’t have one that’s totally fine, you can either grill the chicken on an outdoor grill or pan sear it in a heavy duty pan. The chicken tastes great either way!
Now the thing that I love most about this sandwich is that it can be modified and adapted in soooo many ways. You can use different types of meats, breads, spreads, and toppings and it’s always delicious. It’s the perfect quick and easy sandwich to make when you’re looking for something to make with ingredients you have on hand. Let’s look at the different type of modifications you can make to this sandwich. I’ve tried ALLLL over the years and it’s always great.
Meats: Rotisserie chicken, pan seared chicken, grilled chicken, breasts or things
Breads: Pita, naan, or tortilla wraps
Spreads: Hummus, tzatziki, mayonnaise, sour cream, or guacamole
Toppings: Iceberg or romain lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, pickles, avocado, feta cheese, cilantro, or parsley
I grilled chicken thighs on medium heat than shredded the chicken and wrapped it in a tortilla with hummus, tomatoes, romain lettuce, red onions, a touch of cilantro and feta cheese. You can also grill the wrap after you’ve rolled it like I did so in my quick and easy chicken and avocado burritos recipe. toasting the outside gives the sandwich a nice crispy texture but remember not to use lettuce if you are going to grill it.
I hope you find this recipe helpful and delicious! I’ve posted the recipe below for the wrap I made, but feel free to make any modifications. Also, if you have any other suggestions or tips that you use please share them with us all! 🙂
Hummus and chicken Wraps (Quick, Healthy, Adaptable)
- 2 chicken thighs or 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika or chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic or onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil canola, corn, vegetable, or olive oil
- 2 medium flour tortilla wraps
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- Romain lettuce chopped into big pieces
- 1 small tomatoes sliced
- 1/4 small red onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese optional
- To cook chicken: Heat grill or heavy duty pan to high heat. pour oil into pan or brush grill with a coat of oil. Season meat with the spices and place on grill or pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, if you are using thighs cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes then shred or cut into big chunks.
To assemble: While the chicken is cooking go ahead and prepare the toppings. Cut veggies, spread a thick layer of hummus ( about 1 tablespoon) on tortilla or pita bread, then top with chicken and veggies. Wrap tightly then wrap again in aluminum foil if desired. Serve with a small bowl of hummus or your favorite dip. Enjoy!