This post is sponsored by Wholesome sweeteners. The opinions and text are all my own.
This Keto Caramel Slice Millionaire’s Shortbread is the most delicious layered dessert! If you haven’t heard of Millionaire’s Shortbread, there is a layer of crunchy shortbread, insanely delicious caramel and it’s topped with a heavenly chocolate layer. Plus, it’s only 5 net carbs per slice!
It’s no secret that I love desserts! These keto caramel slices feel super indulgent and always please my sweet tooth. The layers of shortbread along with the creamy caramel and deep dark chocolate layer is a combo made in heaven and are so delicious it’s hard to believe they’re keto.
The shortbread and stretchy keto caramel layers resemble traditional caramel bars and are achieved thanks to a new groundbreaking product from Wholesome called Allulose. The allulose helps the caramel with the color, texture, and flavor and is a godsend! If you haven’t tried Wholesome Allulose yet, you are in for a special treat. It’s exactly what we have been waiting for and will become your new favorite zero-calorie sugar substitute.
Skip the guilt when munching on this Millionaires Shortbread recipe because Wholesome Allulose doesn’t just taste good. It’s Non-GMO Certified, keto, gluten-free, vegan, and kosher, so it’s great for various diets. Another thing that I am excited about when using allulose is that it doesn’t have any calories or net carbs, plus it has zero glycemic impact so it won’t spike your blood sugar. How amazing is that?
If you are skeptical about sweetener alternatives, I understand and have been there too. Many of them leave a weird aftertaste that is almost bitter. With allulose, I am happy to say you don’t have to worry about that. There is no aftertaste, and it makes so much sense that it’s becoming very popular as an alternative to sugar.
What You Need To Make This Keto Caramel Slice Recipe
- Butter: You can’t have shortbread without butter! It gives the shortbread that amazing buttery flavor and texture that’s irresistible.
- Wholesome Granulated Allulose: You will need allulose for the shortbread and the caramel layers. The allulose browns very well and is great for making caramel sauce. I highly suggest using it as the caramel layer is super hard to achieve with other sweeteners.
- Almond Flour: The base of the shortbread layer is the almond flour. It adds a slight almond flavor that’s out of this world amazing.
- Baking Powder: You need a little bit of baking powder to ensure that the shortbread layer rises properly.
- Vanilla Extract: You’ll need some vanilla for the shortbread layer, and it’s optional for the caramel. I think that the vanilla adds enough flavor that I don’t usually go without, but it’s entirely up to you.
- Heavy Cream: The heavy cream is a huge asset to this keto dessert. It makes the caramel super deep, rich, and creamy.
- Sugar-Free Chocolate: It’s fine to use any sugar-free chocolate that you like. It’s just important to make sure it’s sugar-free if you are eating keto.
How To Make Keto Millionaire’s Shortbread
Don’t worry, this recipe for millionaire’s shortbread is actually really easy. The part that takes the longest is to let it set up in the fridge, but it’s completely worth it.
Begin by preparing the shortbread layer and baking it in a parchment-lined pan. Mix together the shortbread ingredients and put the dough in pan. Use your fingers to spread the dough evenly and up to the edges. Bake it for 20 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
Prepare the caramel by whisking together the heavy cream and allulose in a saucepan. Mix until it has turned brown and thickened. This step will take a good 10-20 minutes depending on how big the pot is that you are using and how hot your stove-top is. Use a large (wide) pot or deep pan as it will help the caramel brown so much faster. Once the caramel is golden and the mixture has reduced by more than half, allow the caramel to cool for 10-15 minutes, then pour over the baked shortbread.
Take the sugar-free chocolate and melt it in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time. Stir and keep repeating until it’s soft and melted. Add the butter and whisk to incorporate and pour it on top of the caramel layer. Shake the pan gently to ensure that the chocolate covers all of the caramel.
You can sprinkle with sea salt and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. It should be firm when it’s ready. Then slice it into 16 pieces and keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 weeks.
Keto Caramel Slice (Millionaire’s Shortbread)
- 6 ounces sugar-free chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
To Make Shortbread Layer
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8×8 or 9×9 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients for the shortbread and pat onto the lined baking pan. Press to even out. Bake 15 minutes or until the top of the shortbread starts to turn golden.
To Make Caramel Layer
- Whisk heavy cream and allulose in a medium-large saucepan over high heat, whisking and keeping a close eye on it so it doesn't bubble over, until brown and thickened and has reduced by half. Whisk in vanilla during the last minute. The caramel will take 10-20 minutes to turn golden depending on the size (width) of your pot and how hot your stove-top is. Cool for 10-15 minutes then pour onto prepared shortbread.
To Make Chocolate Layer:
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments until softened. Add butter to the chocolate and whisk the melted chocolate and until creamy. Pour onto the cooled caramel layer. Gently shake the pan from side to side to help it spread.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm. Slice into 16 pieces and store remaining slices in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.