Marry Me Chicken is one of the best ways to cook chicken breasts! Tender and juicy chicken breasts cooked in a creamy sun-dried tomato sauce – the perfect combination for an easy weeknight dinner. Easy to add some spice or leave it just as the recipe is written.
Are you wondering why this chicken dish is named this? Well – it’s because it’s SO good that if you cook it up for someone that you’re dating or in love with, the old wive’s tale is that they just might ask you to marry them.
Not ready for that type of commitment? I totally get it! I just make it for dinner and let the flavor speak for itself! Who needs all that pressure? LOL. Let the flavor showcase your cooking skills with this simple dish.
How to make Marry Me Chicken
Once you get started making this easy marry me chicken recipe, you’re going to be amazed at how fast it is to cook. Just gather up the simple ingredients prior to starting.
Grab the chicken breasts and season both sides with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour. Give them a gentle shake to get rid of the excess flour.
Add the oil to a skillet and heat. Once the oil is hot, put the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook for 5 minutes per side. Once done cooking, put the breasts on a plate and set them to the side.
Place the butter and the diced onion in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until you smell the scent of garlic. Then, add the heavy cream, chicken broth, tomatoes, seasoning, and parmesan. Stir well.
Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet and sauce and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and add basil as a garnish if you want.
How do I know when the chicken is done cooking?
The recipe states to cook the chicken breasts for 5 minutes per side or until they are golden brown. You can also use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken.
Insert the meat probe into the thickest part of the chicken. The reading on the thermometer should be at least 165 degrees, indicating that the chicken is cooked all the way through.
What to Serve with Marry Me Chicken
There are so many options for marry me chicken sides. While I think that this is a whole meal on its own, there is always room for sides to be added. You can easily pair this with a simple side salad, pasta, mashed potatoes, cauliflower rice, or even noodles.
How to store leftovers
Why not keep the flavor town party going with some leftovers the next day? All you need to do is let the chicken cool down all the way and then store it in an airtight container for later.
It’s best to reheat and eat within two days of storage. To reheat, you can add back to the skillet and reheat low and slow on the stove, or put a swerving in a microwave-safe bowl as well and reheat in the microwave.
What are the best toppings for this Marry Me Chicken Tiktok recipe?
If you’ve seen all the variations on Tiktok, then you know that the toppings can be totally unlimited. I’m a big fan of adding parsley to the top of this dish, but it would also be delicious with freshly grated parmesan as well.
Marry Me Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts sliced in half (6 cutlets)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup minced onions
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (or oregano) optional
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes optional
- basil leaves optional garnish
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour and shake off any excess.
- Heat oil in a large heavy duty skillet. Place chicken breasts in the skillet and Cook 5 minutes per side until golden. Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate and set aside.
- Add butter and onion to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes or until translucent and lightly golden. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Next, add heavy cream, chicken broth, sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan, and seasoning. Stir until combined.
- Return cooked chicken to the sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Turn off heat and garnish with basil.