Zucchini boats stuffed with a hearty beef and potato marinara. These zucchini boats make a great addition to any table as a side dish or stand alone meal. Plus, they’re gluten-free, low-carb and only 221 calories per serving! We all know the feeling. It’s the holidays and instead of sitting and relaxing with your family and relatives, you’re on the edge of your seat thinking about dinner and that roast in the oven. Sure you can spend all day in the kitchen but by the time your done, you’ll be so exhausted and can barely lift a finger.
Holiday times can become very overwhelming and time-consuming but there are many things that can be prepared days ahead in order to reduce the stress.
One of my favorite and most obvious tip is to meal prep. Prepping most of the side dishes and deserts the day before is a most. Desserts store very well in the fridge and can be fully baked and placed in the fridge until needed. A few of my favorite desserts that can be baked the day before include the pumpkin spice cake pops, nutella swirl cheesecake, mini pumpkin gingersnap cheesecakes, or these easy one bowl brownies.
Another healthy must try side dish this year is these beef zucchini boats. They’re packed with layers of delicious flavor and it’s hard to believe they’re low-carb and gluten-free.
I can’t get enough of zucchini boats. They’re delicious, healthy, and extremely easy to make. They work great as a meal prep recipe and can be prepared ahead of time; so you can spend less time cooking and more time with your family this season!
It all starts with zucchini that is cut in half and the insides scooped out. The zucchini is then stuffed with a simple yet flavor ground beef marinara and simply potatoes diced potatoes. Simply Potatoes® are perfect for this dish because they are pre-cooked so they cook at the same rate as the zucchini.
They’re always made with real ingredients and fresh never frozen potatoes so fear not because these potatoes are the real deal! No peeling, shredding or dicing required 🙂
After stuffing the zucchini with the beef marinara pour tomato marinara (aka pizza/spaghetti sauce) into the bottom of a 13×9 pan along with some water. place the zucchini boats in the marinara mixture, top with cheesy and enjoy these cheesy beef boats without all the extra carbs and calories.
To make this dish even better, top with fresh avocado, tomato and cilantro!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup marinara sauce divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 3 large zucchini sliced in half lengthwise and scooped out to create a "boat"
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- optional toppings:
- diced tomatoes
- diced avocado
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Heat a large skillet or pot to high heat. Add olive oil and onion. Cook onion until golden. Add ground beef, garlic and spices. Cook ground beef for 3-5 minutes or until fully browned. Add 1/2 cup marinara sauce and potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes.
- While the ground beef is cooking, cut zucchini lengthwise in half; scoop out centers, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells. Combine 1/2 cup water and 1 cup marinara sauce in a large 13x9 casserole dish. Place zucchini boats in sauce, divide beef mixture evenly into zucchini boats, top with cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is fully melted. Top with fresh diced tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro.
Now for the best part!! Simply Potatoes® and I have teamed up to offer one lucky reader another giveaway! Enter to win a Le Creuset Heritage Stoneware Oval Gratin 9.5” in white! To enter follow the instructions on the giveaway box below! (note: please give the giveaway box a minute to load)
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Simply Potatoes®. The opinions and text are all mine.