If you enjoy Chinese takeout, you will love this 30 Minute Healthy Orange Chicken recipe. You can savor the flavor of your favorite dish without all the extra calories and high sodium levels. This delicious chicken tastes great and is good for you too!
When you order Chinese takeout, do you often get the orange chicken? You may love the sweet taste of the chicken with some of your favorite sides, such as mixed vegetables, chow mein, or even rice. Although you like orange chicken, you probably know that the takeout food is not the healthiest option.
The good news is that you can make Healthy Orange Chicken at home. It is better for you, tastes good, and will save you money from ordering out. You can serve the chicken with cauliflower rice, white rice, or even a side of vegetables, such as seasoned cabbage and broccoli.
What You’ll Need to Make the Healthy Orange Chicken
You can get started on making the Healthy Orange Chicken when you have the following ingredients at home:
- Chicken Breast. Cut your chicken breast into bite-size pieces.
- Fresh Orange Juice. The orange chicken gets its sweet taste from orange juice. Use any brand and style that you have in your fridge.
- Soy Sauce. The soy sauce mixes with the orange juice to create the perfect marinade for the chicken.
- Chili Garlic Sauce. You will need to have the chili garlic sauce when preparing the sauce over the cooked pieces of marinated chicken.
- Brown Sugar. Give your sauce that extra touch of sweetness by adding brown sugar to it.
- Red Chili Flakes. If you would like to give your chicken a slight kick, you will want to add the red chili flakes to the sauce.
- Sesame Seeds. The sesame seeds get sprinkled on top of the chicken after you have coated it with the sauce.
Several other ingredients needed include salt, baking soda, black pepper, garlic, ginger, cornstarch, orange zest, and oil. You will also need cooked rice and steamed broccoli to prepare the full meal.
How to Make Healthy Orange Chicken
The first thing you need to do is chop your chicken breast into small pieces and then add it to a bowl with all the marinade ingredients.
Mix it all and leave the chicken to marinate for at least 10 minutes, although you can allow it to marinate much longer than that if you have the extra time.
In the meantime, prepare the sauce for the chicken by combining your orange juice, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, orange zest, garlic, ginger, sugar, salt, and red chili flakes. Continue to whisk until you have blended the ingredients and put your sauce off to the side.
Grab a skillet, add oil to it, and then place the chicken on top of the oil. Cook the chicken on a medium flame for about five minutes on each side, making sure it is cooked to perfection.
Pour the sauce over the chicken, stir the ingredients, and allow it all to simmer together on the stove for an additional five minutes.
The result is this delicious super sticky orange chicken that tastes 1000x better than the fried stuff. Serve your Healthy Orange Chicken with rice and broccoli or with your favorite sides!
How to Store the Healthy Orange Chicken
Place your Healthy Orange Chicken leftovers in a food storage container. You can use a plastic or glass container. Put the chicken in the fridge and keep it there for as long as three days. You can also freeze the orange chicken for six months if you want to prepare large batches and save some for later.
More Delicious Healthy Take-Out Recipes
- 20 Minute Chicken Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 10 Minute Shrimp Teriyaki
- Healthy 20 Minute Sesame Chicken
- Chicken Chow Mein
Healthy Orange Chicken
To marinate the chicken
To make Orange Sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili garlic sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp green onions chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice, to serve
- 1/2 cup steamed broccoli, to serve
- In a medium-size bowl combine all the ingredients under the “to marinate chicken” section and mix it thoroughly and marinate the chicken for at least 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, chili garlic sauce, cornstarch, orange zest, garlic, ginger, red chili flakes, brown sugar, and salt. Whisk it until the sugar dissolves and keep the sauce mixture aside.
- Heat a wide skillet; add oil and once the oil is heated add the marinated chicken pieces to it.
- Cook on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes and flip the chicken pieces to the next side and cook for 5-6 more minutes until the chicken is cooked perfectly.
- Stir in the prepared sauce mixture to the skillet and cook the chicken along with the sauce uncovered for 5 minutes.
- The sauce will start to thicken and everything comes together. In this stage add the sesame seeds and green onions.
- Serve the orange chicken along with rice and veggies.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.