Soft and fluffy New York Style Crumb Cake “Aka Coffee Cake” topped with a buttery cinnamon-brown sugar crumble that is out of this world! This delicious cake makes the perfect addition to your morning coffee.
One of my favorite things about crumb cake is the fact that you can eat it for breakfast; It’s like the best thing ever! My daughter was so happy to eat cake for breakfast and I don’t blame her!
The best thing is the crumbs of course. I love scooping the crumbs off of coffee cakes and eating them alone. If I could make a whole cake out of crumbs, believe me, I would! Crumbs are just so sugary and Cinnamony with a delicious hint of butter. I packed this cake with crumbs because I would eventually start scooping the crumbs off the whole cake onto my slice.
This cake reminds me of the crumb cake I usually buy at my local cafe in NY. It’s always super moist and extra crumby; As good as it may be, the homemade version is way better! Seriously, there is nothing in this world better than baked goods in the morning. Muffins, cakes, scones, croissants, pastries, you name it! it’s always better baked fresh hot out of the oven at home.
This cake is really quick and easy put together and stores very well; you can make it at night or the day before and serve it for a nice breakfast or brunch. If you are looking to make the recipe even easier you can use a cake mix for the cake batter and follow the crumb mixture. I’ve tried it with cake mix and it’s always great!
How to Make this Delicious Crumb Cake
To begin you will need to preheat your oven and line a standard 9×13” pan with butter or oil. Next, whisk your egg, milk, canola oil, and vanilla then add in your flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Now it’s time to make the buttery crumb topping! To make the crumb, simply combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Mix until a crumb texture has formed.
Sprinkle the crumbs over your cake batter and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cake is cooked through.
The result is a moist and fluffy cake with the most buttery cinnamon sugar topping you will ever have! Enjoy with a hot cup of coffee and see what all the fuss is about.
More Delicious Cakes to Try
New York Style Crumb Cake
- 4 cups all-purpose flour plus more for pan
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons canola oil plus more for pan
- Place rack in center of oven, and heat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly brush a 9-by-12 1/2-inch baking pan with canola oil, dust with flour, and tap to remove excess. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together egg, milk, canola oil, and vanilla for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt; continue mixing for 2 minutes.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine remaining 2 1/2 cups flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour melted butter over flour mixture, and toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form. Sprinkle crumbs over batter.
- Place pan in oven, and bake, rotating pan after 10 minutes. Continue baking until a cake tester comes out clean, about 10-15 minutes more.
- Transfer baking pan to a wire rack to cool.Using a serrated knife or bench scraper, cut into 3-inch squares. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.