It’s getting very chilly around here in the DC area and It’s finally starting to feel like fall. This might be a shocker but I’m going to admit it.. Fall is my favorite season! Yes, it’s true. Ever since I can remember I’ve always been in love with the beautiful chilly weather and the falling leaving leaves. I think it’s the perfect weather and even better with a warm cup of coffee or a latte and a warm slice of spice cake.
And as you may have all guessed… pumpkin is definitely the way to go this season. Instead of pumpkin pie though, pumpkin cake is the perfect accompaniment to a hot drink.
This pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting is light and fluffy, yet dense and moist. The batter is super easy and simple to make and comes together in just a few minutes. I’ve made this recipe at least 5 times over the past 2 years and it’s never failed on me.
You can also bake the batter in cupcake tins for pumpkin spice cupcakes.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil you can also use 1/2 cup apple sauce and 1/2 olive oil for a healthier alternative
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice optional
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- 6 ounces cream cheese at room temp
- 6 tablespoons butter at room temp
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour one glass 9 x 13 inch pan or 2 8x8 pans or 24 cupcake tins; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pumpkin spice; add to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes (14-18 mins for cupcakes). Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before frosting.
- For the frosting: While the cake is baking, beat together the cream cheese, butter and confectioner's sugar in a stand mixer or by hand, until light and fluffy.
- After the cake has cooled spread frosting over cake and cut into even size pieces. Cake will keep fresh in the fridge for up to 7 days.